Saturday, February 22, 2020

The One True King Language


The Semicolon Wars by Brian Hayes talks about the surge of programming languages since the first one was invented, and how the community is constantly evolving and trying to find the be-all and end-all programming language. While I understand the notion of how having a standardized programming language would be useful, I think the system we have now is better, and I don’t see a single language making a difference in how we understand programming.

For one, we currently have multiple programming paradigms, which are each more useful than others depending on what we’re trying to achieve. If we only used one programming language, it would have to encompass each and every one of these paradigms, and it would get very complex, very fast. This would make it very difficult to know everything about the language, and most people would focus on only some parts of it, which isn’t too different to having multiple languages to choose from.

Secondly, the article makes a very good point comparing programming and human languages, and it mentions that humans think differently depending on what language they speak. As mentioned in the article, this also applies to paradigms, and I would assume that it applies to programming languages as well to some extent.

By having so many choices, it’s also easier for people with different mindsets to get into programming easily. Having only one language would limit the amount of people that go into the field, and I think that would overall cause more harm than the good a single language could give us.

On a more personal note, I enjoy learning new languages and tinkering with the quirks of each one. I know that as time passes and more languages are created, we will probably get closer to one that will be able to do anything we tell it to. And if that day comes, I will most likely use it. However, in the meantime, I will continue to experiment with anything I can get my hands on, and I will be very happy while I do it.


Source:
Hayes, Brian. The Semicolon Wars (2006)

No comments:

Post a Comment